Yoga Sutras, Pada 2
Wednesdays, 6:00-8:00 PM
February 13 - April 10
(No Class March 13 for Spring Break)
When we practice yoga for a duration of time we eventually become curious about what it has to offer us beyond physical postures. This course is an opportunity to explore the Yoga of Sound (Nada) and the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali which has become a pivotal text in the Yoga canon.
In this class, we will continue our work establishing the foundation of Sanskrit Vedic chanting with the second book or ‘Pada’ of the Yoga Sutras.
The wisdom in the second book, or the Sadhana Pada, of Patañjali’s Yoga Sutras contains the groundwork for any aspiring or seasoned yogi. The second book gives insight on how to establish our practice so that the eight limbs of yoga spontaneously arise. We create the container for the process to unfold. The trail to samadhi becomes accessible and maintained. As we all know, experiential practice brings a new level of multi-dimensional understanding. Chanting these sutras in Sanskrit and in Vedic meter allow the practitioner to:
- Refine your Sanskrit vocabulary
- Dedication to a Sanskrit chanting practice
- Experience the meaning of the sutras on a deep physiological level
- Access samadhi, our inherent state
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT:
- Continuation on feeling comfortable reading transliterated Sanskrit
- Traditional Ganesha invocation
- Practice the correct pronunciation of the 50 Sanskrit syllables
- Second set of 55 stanzas or sutras
- Exploration of translations by TKV Desikachar, Pandit Rajmani Tigunait, BKS Iyengar, Dr. Katy Jane, and Sri Swami Satchidananda
(at least one copy of one of these translations is recommended, however not required)
Completion of Pada 1 is the pre-requisite
16 hours of Continuing Education Credits for RYT’s
You will receive access to a Dropbox file for the course. It is in the same familiar format as the Pada 1 course.
In the Dropbox file there will be:
- Uploaded recordings of the classes
- Practice tools & recordings
- Any additional information/ documents you may need
Pada 2 REFRESHER
If you have taken Pada 2 before, and would like to have a refresher.
Note that this new series in Spring 2019 contains 6 more hours of content than the previous series offered. We will discuss more translation and philosophy.